Note: this original KB article from which this guidance was taken has now been removed. Please see the comments below for more information.
I recently posted about the Conflicting Microsoft guidance on IPv6. While you can remove IPv6 from a NIC on a full installation of Windows Server 2008 by un-ticking the IPv6 box in the NIC properties (satisfying the Hyper-V performance guidance), you may have noticed that there’s no obvious way to disable IPv6 in server core or Hyper-V Server. If you looked in to it in a bit more detail you may have noticed a registry “fix” for this. Personally I’m always a bit skeptical of registry fixes until I see Microsoft recommending them, but now Tonyso has posted a link to a Microsoft KB article that endorses this approach (when necessary):
To completely disable IPv6 on a Windows Server 2008-based computer yourself, follow these steps:
- Open Registry Editor.
- Locate the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesTcpip6Parameters
- In the details pane, click New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Type DisabledComponents, and then press ENTER.
- Double-click DisabledComponents, and then type 0xffffffff in Hexadecimal or 4294967295 in Decimal.Note The 0xffffffff value or the 4294967295 value disables all IPv6 components except for the IPv6 loopback interface.
A reboot is required before the change will take effect.
- JohnLong on Adding Drivers to Windows Deployment Services Boot Images
- Boog on How to enable Lync audio within a Remote Desktop session
- Tristan Watkins on How to enable Lync audio within a Remote Desktop session
- Perl on How to enable Lync audio within a Remote Desktop session
- ShamrockSoft on No Lossless Audio With Zune
- Administrivia (1)
- Authentication (10)
- Business Continuity (2)
- Client applications (17)
- Consultancy and Design (17)
- Hardware (9)
- IT Management (12)
- Miscellaneous (5)
- Mobile (3)
- Networking (18)
- Office 365 Grid (3)
- Performance (26)
- Power (2)
- Security (19)
- SharePoint (75)
- Unified Communications (3)
- Virtualisation (30)
- Windows (52)
TagsActive Directory administration Amazon Web Services ASUS BLOB Caching certificates Claims Cloud DCOM Dell development DNS EC2 Graphics Hyper-V IaaS ICS IIS Information Rights Management Intel IRM Lync NUMA PowerShell RMS SAML Search SEO Service Application SharePoint 2007 SharePoint 2010 SLAT STSADM Timer Job User Information User Profile User Profiles Virtual Machine VMWare w3wp Windows 7 Windows Deployment Services Windows Server 2008 R2 Workgroup
Archives by Month